Save on office supplies at Amazon.

Tuesday

A to Z Writing: CAPTCHA Codes Cause Caution



Are you careful with CAPTCHAs? Do odd codings cause you to be cross when you create blog comments?

What is a CAPTCHA code?

A CAPTCHA code is a series of typed characters that web users may be required to enter correctly before proceeding with comments or site signups online. The aim of CAPTCHA coding is to prevent robotized or computerized spam or attacks on websites.

Originally developed in 2000 bv a group of computer experts at Carnegie Mellon University, CAPTCHA actually stands for Completely Automated Public Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart.

Here’s an example of a simple CATCHA code. Many of these random sequences also include numbers, punctuation marks, or other typographical symbols. Often, the characters are staggered, and squiggles may run through them.

 
Facebook users and those frequenting other social networking sites are familiar with CAPTCHAs, although site options may allow disabling of such steps.

Does your blog require a CAPTCHA code for comments?

If a reader chooses to write remarks in response to one of your blog posts, must he or she type in a random CAPTCHA code before posting the comment?

Many blogs require CAPTCHAs. In fact, code requirement is the default comment setting for plenty of blogging platforms. You can change this by altering the settings in your blog, if you wish.

Should your blog require responders to enter CAPTCHA codes?

Bloggers may debate both sides of this question. Plenty of blog hosts leave the CAPTCHA code requirement for comments in place as a security measure. It really does cut down spam and virtually eliminates automated responses.

On the other hand, many busy blog readers will comment on engaging posts, unless the CAPTCHA code step is in place.

During the A to Z Blogging Challenge, for example, bloggers go all out to read one another’s posts. Participants seem to comment more than usual during this month-long endeavor, leaving links to their own A to Z entries. Bloggers insisting on CAPTCHA codes may enjoy fewer comments and perhaps less repeat readership.

A to Z Blogging Challenge veterans tend to recommend shutting off CAPTCHA code requirements during the month of April, even if bloggers reset the security measure for May. This practice helps blog hosts to capture as many comments as possible during the alphabetic challenge.

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.

Related Items:

Image:  
Magnifying Glass by Penarc
Creative Commons Licensing
CAPTCHA codes
LAN original artwork
Fair Use
2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge logo
Fair Use

4 comments:

  1. Nice post on CAPTCHA. I don't have it on my own blog, never would, and even though I tolerate it when I really want to leave a comment on someone's blog, I secretly despise its guts. There are all sorts of plugins and addons to eliminate spam that don't get in the way of online communication. :)
    Cheers and have fun with the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea my blog had the captcha feature, until one of my friends mentioned it was among the longest ones she'd ever seen. Needless to say, I turned it off. And having enjoyed the welcoming comment format in this (my very first A - Z Challenge), I also turned off the comment moderator today. It's nice to leave comments on people's blogs and see them right away. It's fun to interact with everyone on a more personal level. This is truly a wonderful experience so far...off to work on letter C...Have a great day, good people:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had people complain, so I turned it off and got load of spam (but it was filtered out by blogger). A few weeks later the spam tapered off. I've left the CAPTCHA off. I don't mind it, but sometimes I comment and click over to another blog before it pops up, so my comments never get left! And sometimes I struggle to figure the letters out and have to try several times. Then I'm frustrated. So I guess my answer to your question is, I'd rather a person leave it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to get free Facebook Covers in website. I search in huge.

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Have related insights, ideas, or a story to share? Feel free to comment, and let Working in Words know you were here.