Sage statements on hanging on and hanging in
What do NaNoWriMo novelists, cross-country cyclists, marathon runners, mountain climbers, triathletes, and inventors have in common? Perseverance is the key to these and other long-haul endeavors.
What is perseverance?
This trait points to a lasting form of unfailing effort that patiently and wholeheartedly persists until a goal has been reached.
Synonyms for perseverance include constancy, dedication, determination, diligence, drive, endurance, moxie, persistence, purposefulness, resolution, stamina, steadfastness, stick-to-itiveness, and tenacity.
Writers who commit to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November and follow through to complete the Herculean task are supreme examples of perseverance.
Many well-known figures have offered insights about perseverance. Here are 25 top quotations (arranged alphabetically by speaker and gathered from multiple sources) on this admirable character quality.
25 perseverance quotations
- Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. John Quincy Adams (1767-1848)
- Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. Mario Andretti (1840 - ____)
- Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th. Julie Andrews (1935 - ___)
- The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't. Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887)
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. Confucius (551-479 BC)
- Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. Marie Curie (1867-1934)
- Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure. Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881)
- Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
- The great majority of men are bundles of beginnings. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
- Though you may hear me holler, and you may see me cry – I'll be dogged, sweet baby, if you gonna see me die. Langston Hughes (1902-1967)
- Perseverance, secret of all triumphs. Victor Hugo (1802-1885)
- If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
- Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)
- Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul. U.S. General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)
- It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela (1918 - ____)
- Thankfully, perseverance is a good substitute for talent. Steve Martin (1945 - ____)
- Genius is eternal patience. Michelangelo (1475-1564)
- Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day. A.A. Milne (1882-1956)
- It’s always too soon to quit. Norman Vincent Peale (1989-1993)
- Perseverance is more prevailing than violence; and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield themselves up when taken little by little. Plutarch (46-120)
- I do not think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature. John D. Rockefeller (1939-1937)
- Every strike brings me closer to the next home
run. George Herman “Babe” Ruth, Jr. (1895-1948)
- By perseverance, the snail reached the Ark. Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892)
- In the realm of ideas everything depends on enthusiasm. In the real world all rests on perseverance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)
What’s your personal favorite popular quotation on perseverance?
And, if you are a writer who is completing NaNoWriMo this time around, please say so. We’d like to cheer you on!
Adapted by this user
from public domain image