Save on office supplies at Amazon.

Saturday

Flier and flyer - Mixed messages and misused words from A to Z



Flier and flyer - Mixed messages and misused words from A to Z

Far out! Folks frequently flip out over wrong words that fairly fly off our tongues like flipping finches.

What’s the difference between a flier and a flyer?

This one’s fairly easy, if you focus fully. A flier is something that flies. It might be a bird, a bug, a pilot, a passenger, or even an astronaut. Even a circus performer, shot from a cannon, can be a flier. But a flyer is a broadsheet, a paper ad or announcement, a circular, or another document for distribution or posting.

A flyer is also a device used in the production of twisted yarns. Of course, plenty of paper flyers may boast twisted yarns as well. But that’s another story altogether.

Take a peek at this example of appropriate usage of flier and flyer.

The flier read the safety flyer before climbing into the cockpit. Peeking through the windshield, he beheld two curious sights. A printed flyer was tucked under the windshield. And a flier of another sort had left a deposit on the glass.

“Oh, fiddlesticks!" exclaimed the flier, as he revved the jet’s engine to fly.



Image/s:
Misused word pair
Created by this user
At CoolText
 Abused and misused word graphics
adapted from public domain artwork


Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.

11 comments:

  1. I'm a lover of words and this article is really great! So true how some words can give us mixed messages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds of the poem about computer spelling checkers where a majority of the words are misspelt with a homonym, sea instead of see, two instead of too and so on. My current pet hate is the misuse of unique.
    Thanks for sharing :)


    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness I used it right. Way back when I posted a flyer on my blog, actually thought I looked it up and thought the words were interchangeable. Maybe I thought that because I've seen the words interchanged? Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Language can be a funny thing, isn't it? Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome so a fly in the sky is not a flyer, although it can fly. Hope I've got that right. A fly is a fly not a flyer, but a flier. Yip. Until of course he buzzes around you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. So if you fold the ad into a paper airplane you can have both at once!

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I am a big language fan and often post this sort of thing on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/harrietwrites. And for some reason the posts tend to be quite popular - I am sure you find the same. Thanks for posting it and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one! Misused words are one of my pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And there are so many of them - the one that really annoys me is the misuse of lose and loose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I knew this, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten this wrong at least a few times. Great idea for a theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just wanna thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice article I've ever seen i like it i learn something today.

    Awning Signs Sydney & Window Signs Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Have related insights, ideas, or a story to share? Feel free to comment, and let Working in Words know you were here.