Save on office supplies at Amazon.

Tuesday

A to Z Writing: Just Juggling Jobs


Jumping Jiminy!

The workload of a freelance writer is seldom a steady stream. It's a juggling act, for sure. Certainly, some days seem simple, while others contain complex series of appointments, interviews, assignments, and interruptions.

Oh, the interruptions!

Have you ever tried composing creative copy or conducting a teleconference, while toddlers, teens, or a Type A spouse clamored for your attention? That can happen for those who work from home offices.

Distractions can be daunting, and deadlines can quickly pile up.

What’s more, most busy freelancers try to track multiple assignments for a variety of publications or clients, just to make ends meet.

Every week, for example, I receive projects from at least three companies.  Each of these includes a variety of topical columns or beats. My weekly quotas can total 50 articles or more, plus breaking news or feature assignments editors may send my way.

That doesn’t even count my blogs, publication pitches, creative writing, or special projects. And did I mention I love to write poetry and hope to produce my own version of the great American novel someday (like every other writer)?

Is it possible to juggle jobs and still stay sane?

Pretty much.

It’s all about organization. Many writers track their writing plans online, on spreadsheets, or even on their smart phones. My system is much more low-technology than that, but it works for me.

I use three different tools to organize my work in advance.

On my desk, I have a big open wooden file box, filled with folders. Each folder is labeled with one of my column topics: from economics to etiquette, from fashion to foods, from pets to politics, and from writing tips to world news.

I also keep several accordion-style folders. Each of these contains a dozen sections, labeled for the months of the year. When I uncover upcoming news or events that pertain to one of my regular feature columns (such as holidays or horse shows), I stick a note in the appropriate folder.

Finally, I have a pile of wooden clipboards – one for each of my primary writing areas. Each week, I arrange my notes for the stories I plan to write and stick them in the clips. I stand the boards on a writing easel on my desk, and I’m ready to write.

It’s amazing how this simple tri-fold system has reduced the time-wasting rummaging for news notes and story starts that once plagued me. My notes are close at hand, and I spend the proverbial lion’s share of my desk time in actual writing mode.

Now, about those interruptions …

Image:  
Juggling by Jusben
MorgueFile
2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge logo
Fair Use

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page on Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I hope my writing is inviting. :) I am doing a serialized fiction story for my atoz challenge posts. I am creating as I go, not prewritten, and it is just kind of writing itself. Visit if it pleases you to do so, Best regards to you. I am trying to visit everyone on the challenge list at least once this month. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organization is key to staying on top of things for me. Interruptions are the bane of our existence I believe (lol). Today I am secluded with drapes drawn, window on a tiny crack, lights off and ringer of on house phone and forwarding my cell calls to voice mail until finish the week's work for one of my clients and work on my blogs. I feel like this - if I were at a 9 to 5 I would not be at home to answer calls or the door, so today I will not do any of those things. Hopefully it will work out because family can be persistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! You work so hard, and you're so organised. My table is a mess :P - A fellow freelance writer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recently resorted to using (computer) stickies on my desktop - much easier than the paper ones:)

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Have related insights, ideas, or a story to share? Feel free to comment, and let Working in Words know you were here.