Save on office supplies at Amazon.

Thursday

A to Z Writing: Laying Low with Language's Lies


Look out! Do you know when to use “lay” and when to use “lie”? This English language quirk has writers in a quandary.

I’d be loathe to lay a guilt trip on you, but if you claim you know the truth about "lie" and "lay," maybe you lie like a rug. Let me lay it out for you. I’d be lying, if I didn’t lay a bet on this one.

Sometimes, I just cannot let sleeping dogs lie, and I’d hate to lay an egg on this grammatical graveyard. It’s too urgent to put on layaway.

I simply could not lay down my work at the end of the day and lie down in peace without setting this aright. The guilt could leave me laid up for weeks, and I can’t take that lying down.

Every writer has to make his own bed and lie in it, at least until he lies in state somewhere.

So, before you lay it on the line or even lay rubber, get the lay of the land on “lay” vs. “lie.”

And that’s no lie. (If it were, someone might need to have his mouth washed out with lye. But that's another story altogether.)

Related Items:
 Image:  
The Argument
Public Domain/Wikipedia Commons
2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge logo
Fair Use

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Have related insights, ideas, or a story to share? Feel free to comment, and let Working in Words know you were here.